Thursday, September 6, 2012

Always a Student

Tomorrow marks the 12 year anniversary of my becoming a Mom for the first time.  I will never forget that day, but I will also remember the days before.  I had a scheduled induction for September 7th, mainly because I asked my doctor if he would, and he said yes.  It was the first week of September and the temperatures had been in the 100's.  I was 39 weeks pregnant and ready to do something about my built-in heater.  If you know me, you know that I am incredibly hot-natured anyway, so this baby needed to come.  I am enormously proud of the young lady that my daughter is and is becoming.  I can't wait to see what God has in store for her.  However, that is not the topic of this blog post.

Three years and three weeks later, the Lord blessed us with another daughter.  Growing up, I always thought I wanted to have boys.  I just felt like I would make a good boy-mom.  God, however, in His infinite wisdom, called me to be a girl-mom, and I wouldn't trade any of it.  If you were to ask me what I've learned most from being a mom, I would say hands-down: GRACE.  Let me elaborate.

The more I grow in my spiritual walk, I become more and more amazed at my own depravity as a human being.  Yes, I am created in the image of God, but I am one messed-up chick.  I sin.  A lot.  Every day.  A lot.  Yet, my Heavenly Father shows me grace.  He forgives.  Over and over.  For the same thing.  And He will never love me any more or any less than He does right this second.  And that love was shown in a way that still gives me chills.  He let His only Son leave a perfect Heaven, live a perfect life here on Earth, die a slow, painful death.  All...for...me.  And for you, too.

Now, what does this have to do with being a Mom?  Every day, my patience is tested.  Every situation calls for a different set of actions and reactions.  On those frequent occasions, when I want to scream to the high Heavens and run away, I am reminded, "Show them grace.  Show them grace."  I have often said that I am overwhelmed by the love I have for my children.  When in reality, it's just a blip on the radar compared to the love that Christ has for me.  It's almost like God is using my job as a Mom to remind me of what He did for me.  Every situation comes with it an opportunity to show my children the same grace that Jesus shows to me.  Ephesians 2 says that it is by GRACE we have been saved, not by WORKS.  Thank the Lord I don't have to be good enough.  Refer to earlier "messed-up chick" comment...

Now, I know that those of you reading who already have raised children or currently have teenagers are saying, "Honey, just you wait."  I know that.  But I also know that understanding the love Christ has for me and for my girls will equip me to tackle the next 10-15 years.  Show them grace.  Show them grace.




0 comments:

Post a Comment