Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Family Dinner

NEVER underestimate the power of family dinner around the table.  Even if it takes 5 times longer to fix dinner than it does for everyone to finish, complain that they don't like it, ask to be excused, ____________ (fill in the blank).  You get the idea.  Yes, it takes a lot of time, work and creativity to put dinner on the table and to be honest, our stage of life is such that some nights, we are lucky to pick up at the same fast food restaurant.  But, it's those times around the table when I am reminded that no matter how hectic my day has been, how many times I've gotten frustrated or raised my voice or how many times I have said those infamous words, "Calgon, take me away...", we are a family.

It's around the dinner table where we have no choice but to look each other in the eye and listen.  We talk about our days, laugh, agree to disagree and everything in between.  It's around the table where my girls feel safe and can ask us questions or talk about something that's been bothering them.  It's around the table where we discuss our "highs" and "lows" of the day.  Family rule: it's okay if you didn't have a "low", but you MUST have a "high".  And you want to know something? Frequently, at least one person around the table says that his or her high is that moment, around the table, when we are all together.  

Truth be known, I took a break from cleaning the kitchen to write this post.  My husband has gone to a meeting, the girls are upstairs doing whatever they do, and I'm STILL in the kitchen.  But I'm okay with that.  We had dinner together around the table and THAT was powerful.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment